Each practice test has 50 questions.
The real test has:
- 50 questions for cars and motorcycles
- 100 questions for lorries, buses and coaches
The practice questions aren’t used in the real test, but they’re based on the same topics as the test.
The theory driving test has two parts – The Multiple Choice followed by the Hazard Perception. You have to pass both parts to pass the theory test.
- Before you start the multiple choice part, you have the option of a 15-minute practice period to get ready for the test.
- For both parts of the test – you are given a test question to practice with before starting the assessed part of the test.
- When you start the theory test – you need to answer questions by pressing on a touch sensitive screen- In the hazard perception test – you will respond by using the mouse.
The Multiple choice questions are based on the Highway Code and road safety matters.
- You will have 50 multiple choice questions – The pass mark is 43 or more.
- The time allowed – to complete this part of the test is 57 minutes.
- Some questions will require more than one answer – a message appears if you don’t select enough answers.
- There are case study questions as well – you will be shown a short ‘story’ and be required to answer five questions about it.
- You will be able to ‘flag’ questions – if you are unsure, and return to them later.
In the Hazard Perception – a hazard is something that will cause you, as the driver, to unexpectedly change speed – direction or stop – For this part of the test you will be using a mouse to indicate a hazard developing.
- The questions are made up of 14 one minute long clips – each video will show one hazard except one video, which has two hazards. The faster you spot a hazard the more points you score. The pass mark is 44 out of a possible 75.
- If you click the mouse too many times – you will see a warning message and receive zero points for that video.
Remember to take your provisional driving licence, if you forget to you won’t pass the theory test because you will not be allowed to take the test and you will lose your fee.
When you pass the theory test you’ll receive a letter with a pass certificate number on it – you’ll need this when you book and take your practical driving test.
If you are unsuccessful this time – remember you are certainly not alone – the test has a pass rate of less than 50%.
Book another theory test and next time you will know how to pass the theory test. You’ll need to wait at least three working days before you can retake the theory test, but there is no limit on how many times you can retake it.
You’ll need to pass the practical test within two years of passing your theory test – otherwise, your theory test pass certificate will expire.